This delicious Lobster Thermidor is an absolute delight and is sure to please your guests every time!
It is named after the 11th month of the French Revolutionary calender which is in the summer.
For Four people as a starter
• 2 cooked lobsters about 1 1/2 lbs each
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons brandy
• 1/2 cup milk
• 5 tablespoons heavy cream
• 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
• Lemon juice
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
• Herbs such as parsley and dill to garnish
• Cut the lobsters in half length ways (keep the shells to serve them in!)Place the point of the knife in the tail end and press down with the knife so that the heel of the knife cuts through the head. Press down. You should have two clean cut pieces of lobster.
• Pull out the intestine from the tail (like string)
• Remove the meat from the shells and cut into small pieces
• To make the sauce, melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan.
• Stir in the flour, cooking until golden.
• Pour in a little of the milk and blend. (I use a whisk at this stage)
• Pour in remainder of the milk and then the brandy.
• Gradually pour in the cream and finally the dijon mustard.
• Simmer for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste and the lemon juice.
• Add the lobster meat to the sauce and pour into the shells.
• Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and place under a grill until golden.
• Garnish with fresh herbs.
So there you have it, a lovely shellfish main course or starter, not so difficult when you have done it once!
You will want to keep this as one of your favourites and will love it I promise!
Return from Lobster Thermidor to Fish Recipes
Return to French recipes to love Home page